What to do with Canadian currency?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

CanadaToUSA

What to do with Canadian currency?

Post by CanadaToUSA »

My wife and I are planning to immigrate to the US next year. Our Eb2 NIW application has been submitted and will likely take about 1 year to process. We've been in Canada for less than 2 years and have not invested any of the money except about 40K into an RRSP. We'll have 200-300K CAD before moving, most of which we won't be reliant upon since I would be earning USD immediately after departing Canada. We also don't have any urgency to purchase a home or other expensive assets. So we're trying to decide what we can do with the Canadian money to maximize the return. Ideally we would like to capitalize on a good exchange rate from CAD to USD, but this is quite difficult to predict. Real estate in Canada is relatively expensive compared to the US. Exchange to another currency and investing in an international real estate market has been considered, but may pose logistical challenges. Any ideas? Thoughts would be much appreciated.