How to apply for TN with a certificate

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Post Reply
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:11 pm

How to apply for TN with a certificate

Post by NewtoUS » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:32 pm

I am currently working on TN Visa. I obtained my TN to work as a business analyst (under the economist category as I have a ma in economics).

Now I am considering changing job to work as a SAS Programmer, which should be in the computer system analyst category. The problem is that I don't have a degree in computer science or related field. As I passed the SAS Programming Certification Exams and have become a certified SAS programmer. Can I use this certificate to apply for TN to work as a SAS Programmer? Maybe I am just day-dreaming, but think I'd better check here first.


Posts: 16087
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:45 pm

Not likely. You need a DIPLOMA.

Also, the job can't be programming.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:11 pm

Post by NewtoUS » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:38 pm

Thank you, nelsona, for your reply. I hope you don't mind that I have a couple of questions about H1B.

1) My current employer has agreed to sponsor me to switch to H1B from TN. As H1B won't be valid until oct 1, so I will still work under TN between apr and oct 1. I am working as a business analyst right now and will apply for H1B for the same position. My question is: can I work as a SAS Programmer after oct 1 when I work under H1B even though the "position" for which H1B is originally approved has changed?

2) I know it's normal for people to change companies under H1B, what if I change job between apr and oct 1 when H1B has yet kicked in?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Eiss
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:08 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

Post by Jim Eiss » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:25 pm

If you want to work as an SAS programmer, you need to have an H-1B approved as an SAS programmer. If SAS programming is listed as one of the aspects of the business analyst position, then you could of course perform those duties.

If you change employers before the I-129 is approved, it is likely that your employer will withdraw the petition. You will not be counted under the cap and it will probably be too late to file another H-1 and catch the cap. If the petition is already approved, you can have a second H-1 filed and use the cap count form the first petitin for the second, as long as the second is approved before the first employer withdraws the first petition. Thik premium processing to make sure things get taken care of quickly.

Post Reply