Working in Canada - living in US

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

butlertl

Working in Canada - living in US

Post by butlertl »

From the wife:

I am happily married to my American husband (married February 13, 2005) and this coming year I will be applying for a change of status to get my 10 year Green Card. I presently have my 2 year green card. I did work for 6 months earlier this year but have been having a tough time finding employment in my field since that contract ended (Washington DC/northern Virginia area).

I may be offered a very good job back in Canada in January from people who have known my work in the past and wondered if I could take it for a year. I would keep the US as my permanent home and live in an apartment in Canada coming back every 4-5 weeks to see my husband. Our eventual retirement plans in 2-3 years are to have one home in US and another in Canada and spend 6 months in each country (snowbirds).

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Is it possible? I do not want to give up my green card, I just want to temporarily work in Canada. I would retain bank accounts in the US and home phone number and house with husband in the US. Thanks for any thoughts or input.
I am happily married to my American husband (married February 13, 2005) and this coming year I will be applying for a change of status to get my 10 year Green Card. I presently have my 2 year green card. I did work for 6 months earlier this year but have been having a tough time finding employment in my field since that contract ended (Washington DC/northern Virginia area).

I may be offered a very good job back in Canada in January from people who have known my work in the past and wondered if I could take it for a year. I would keep the US as my permanent home and live in an apartment in Canada coming back every 4-5 weeks to see my husband. Our eventual retirement plans in 2-3 years are to have one home in US and another in Canada and spend 6 months in each country (snowbirds).

Has anyone ever heard of this before? Is it possible? I do not want to give up my green card, I just want to temporarily work in Canada. I would retain bank accounts in the US and home phone number and house with husband in the US. Thanks for any thoughts or input.
T Butler
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is not a problem. Your ties to US are sufficient to mainatin your GC.

You would have to clearly state eeach time you cross the border that you LIVE in US, and are working temporarily in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Jaspal

Post by Jaspal »

Just curious to know, what are 10 year or 2 year GC. I am interested in similar arrangment in a few years (i.e. maintain my GC when I get one, but continue to live/work in Canada and US - I am a Canadian citizen)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The terms "2 year' and '10 year' are misleading.

These apply to marriage-based GC: 2-year is the Conditional Gc obtained shortly after marriage. It is given for 2 years to mitigate against convenience marriages.

The 10-year GC is really a permannt GC. While it may have an 'expiry date' on 10-years, having an expired GC does not really mean anything -- one simply makes arrangemts to renew it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D