Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

ashokpjain

Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN

Post by ashokpjain »

I was employed for a year from November 2016 to December 2017 by a US firm on a TN Visa. They want me to join again. My initial TN is valid till November 2019. I have not worked for anyone else after leaving that employer in December 2017 because of health issues. Can I use the same visa to rejoin them or do I need to apply freshly even though the employer is the same?
nelsona

Re: Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN ge

Post by nelsona »

You should get a new TN, since your relationship ended with them. You are back in Canada, right? So you would’ve given back your I-94 at the border.
I am taking my usual break from this site until May. Always too many tax-form specific questions at this time of year...
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D
ashokpjain

Re: Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN

Post by ashokpjain »

Thanks Nelsona for the response.
No, I did not give back the I-94 since it is electronic and I came back by road.
So it still exist in electronic form and valid till November 2019.
nelsona

Re: Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN

Post by nelsona »

While I-94s are electronis, since it serves as your work authorization, you should have a copy in your passport (in fact, border still issues card I-94 for TN). You were still supposed to give this back when you entered Canada.

As I said, since your relationship had terminated, you should get a new TN, and this time the card in your passport until it is no longer valid, and then hand back to Cdn border when you are terminated and leave US.
I am taking my usual break from this site until May. Always too many tax-form specific questions at this time of year...
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D