Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

ashokpjain

Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN

Post by ashokpjain »

I was employed for a year from November 2016 to December 2017 by a US firm on a TN Visa. They want me to join again. My initial TN is valid till November 2019. I have not worked for anyone else after leaving that employer in December 2017 because of health issues. Can I use the same visa to rejoin them or do I need to apply freshly even though the employer is the same?
nelsona

Re: Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN ge

Post by nelsona »

You should get a new TN, since your relationship ended with them. You are back in Canada, right? So you would’ve given back your I-94 at the border.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ashokpjain

Re: Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN

Post by ashokpjain »

Thanks Nelsona for the response.
No, I did not give back the I-94 since it is electronic and I came back by road.
So it still exist in electronic form and valid till November 2019.
nelsona

Re: Reemployment by same employer on a previously obtained valid TN

Post by nelsona »

While I-94s are electronis, since it serves as your work authorization, you should have a copy in your passport (in fact, border still issues card I-94 for TN). You were still supposed to give this back when you entered Canada.

As I said, since your relationship had terminated, you should get a new TN, and this time the card in your passport until it is no longer valid, and then hand back to Cdn border when you are terminated and leave US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D