Aamzon Royalties

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

K1Canuck

Aamzon Royalties

Post by K1Canuck »

Hello,

Next week, I'll be joining my US citizen fiance using my K1 visa. One of my concerns is as follows:

Over the course of 2017, I wrote and self-published five e-books on Amazon. Being unsure about the rules about receiving this passive income while waiting for a GC, yesterday I unpublished all of the books.

However, Amazon pays royalties 60 days after the sale of any book. Therefore there could still be some residual income going into my Canadian bank account from sales made prior to their un-publication.

In addition, even though the books are no longer available for sale anywhere, they were all enrolled in Amazon's Kindle borrowing program, which pays royalties only when the books are read. This means that anyone who has one of my books in their Kindle could read it after I emigrate, triggering a royalty payment which may make it look like I am selling books in the US without having permission to work.

Is this a legit concern or am I worried for nothing?

Thank you for any thoughts or advice.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This passive income is not a problem, since it is passive.
What is illegal under your current status is actually WORKING on a book (ie,. writing).

Since you have already written the books, all you have to worry about is reporting the income, which you can ask about (or better yet, research) on the tax forum.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
K1Canuck

Post by K1Canuck »

If I'm not mistaken, Amazon will report the income and forward any taxes owing on royalties once I receive and give them my new SSN. But I'll double-check with them just to be sure.

Thank you very much for your kind assistance :)

(BTW: Let's hope I edited my books a little better than I edited that thread title LOL :P)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would think that once you prove that youa re a US resident Amazon will NOT withhold on royalties, since you are excpected to report these and pay tax on yoru 1040.

Withholding is usually resrved for non-residents of US, which is what you were.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D