work from canada partially - TN visa

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

pran

work from canada partially - TN visa

Post by pran »

I am on TN visa/status working for a US company through approved I-797. I am in usa for almost 50% of time and the remaining time I work from Canada. I was told (by a US immigration officer at one of the POE) if I stay out of USA for more than 30 days, automatic visa revalidation does not apply and they have to recheck all my TN documents. At other POEs, the US immigration Officer did not raise this issue at all. Is this correct? How long can I stay out of USA on TN status?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As a Cdn auto VISA revalidation is not even possible, since you don't have a visa.
Your TN reamins good as long as you continuew to work for your sponsor, regardless of how long you are outside US.

he was blowing smoke
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
pran

Post by pran »

Everytime when I enter the US, the immigration officer asks me how long i have been out of USA?

any thoughts on this?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

we've together talked on immigration.com about this. Must be because on TN you can live in US and they don't realize you live in Canada (asking for customs purposes not immigration), or just palin unfamiliar with TN status.

Either way, nothing to worry about. They let you in each time.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
pran

Post by pran »

Thanks nelsona.