Maintaining both Canadian Medical coverage and US Medicare

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

EllenThomas

Maintaining both Canadian Medical coverage and US Medicare

Post by EllenThomas »

During transition years in emigrating to the US, is it possible to maintain Canadian medical coverage and at the same time purchase and use a Medicare Supplement insurance plan?
Nellie46
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Depends from which provice you move, and more importantl;y how much tioes you keep in canada.

OHIP, for example, allows you a one-time "extension" of coverage if you leave Ontario (and canada) for a specific set of reasons, for upto five years. Its suspends the requirement to manitian a Cdn resisnce and be physically present in Ontario for 153 days a year.

Other provinces may have similar programs, but most do NOT. Once you physdically leave and set up foreign residence, you are no longer covered.

But, really, if you are in US and suffer any type of hospitalization that is not covered by your other US-sourced insurance, having any of the provincial coveragres is simply not goiing to help you financially.

Be sure you by a plan that covers you fully in US, and don't worry about trying to (legally or illegally) maintain Cdn coverage.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

can I ask on what basis you will be claiming Medicare eligibility?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I saw from your other post that you are a spouse of a US citizen.
EllenThomas

Post by EllenThomas »

The province we are moving from is Ontario. Where can I find information about OHIP 'extension' of coverage and the various reasons permitted?

I am a US citizen from birth (permanent resident in Canada for 43 years) who has qualified for Social Security benefits and Medicare. My husband is Canadian (and a US citizen through his mother) and has qualified for Social Security and Medicare through me (via a spousal arrangement the US has).

He has a serious medical condition requiring an expensive injection ($3000 CAD) every 3 weeks. Coupled with this, we have large retained earnings in a corporation, which if wound down quickly would produce an enormous departure tax.

Potentially we could retain Canadian residency for several years (maybe even 5) while spending a large amount of time in the US.
Nellie46
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, again, can I ask how you qualified for SS and medicare, living in canada all these years? You have worked the required 40 quarters in US for medicare eligibility? Us citizenship isn't enough.

If you are spending large amount of time living in canada (at least 5 monbths a year) then the 'extension' doesn't really apply to you, you will simply keep qualifying for OHIP.

Doesn't look like you will be moving.

OHIP has a website full of information.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

EllenThomas

Post by EllenThomas »

I worked in the US until I was 25 yrs. old. Then I gained the final 11 quarters required within the past three years.

Thanks for the pointer. I have found the information about OHIP you mentioned.
Nellie46
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Excellent job getting those credits. They will come to be very valuable.