Temporary Move to Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

cmh2001

Temporary Move to Canada

Post by cmh2001 »

I am interested in doing a temporary move to Canada. My job wants to put me in our Calgary office for up to 6 months. My wife is American, and our daughter was born in the US. I am Canadian and a US permanent resident since 2004.

I want to bring my family to Canada for this period and get my daughter in school. She is 7. My wife would not be working in Canada. I need to know what the tax implications would be, would I pay income tax in both the US and Canada? I will be paid from our US company into my US bank account. Or I could ask to be paid from our Canadian company if it was more beneficial.

Also how do I get medical coverage in Canada?

Should I, or will I even be able to apply for my US citizenship during this six month period?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

A lot will depend on how much ties you make in Canada during this temp assignment.

You should stay on the US payroll. This make it possible to avoid Cdn tax if you spoend less than six months in Canada. otherwise you will be taxed in both countries.

If you keep your home in US you should be able to apply for citizenship. But if you are outside US "too long", you may have to dely citizenship application (read the naturalization guide on that).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cmh2001

Post by cmh2001 »

Do you think I can put my daughter in school in Canada? Even though we will not technically be residents of Canada?

We plan to return to our home in the US frequently during the six month period. We will be maintaining our US residence. So if we make a monthly trip back to the US, then there should be no concerns with staying over the six months or 'too long'.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Given that she is a Cdn citizen, I don't see a problem, but you would obviously have to check with the local school board.

It is important, since you wil still be living in US, to always stress the temporary nature of your stay when crossing the borderinto canada, especially when it comes to your spouse.

I would simply be saying that you are going up for work (for a month) and that your family is coming along, each time you enter
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cmh2001

Post by cmh2001 »

I have determined that once I have a residence in Canada, that I can put my daughter in school. I only need to show her birth certificate and my proof of citizenship in Canada.

Does my wife need any time of Resident's visa to live in Canada up to six months?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As long as you maintain your US resident, she (and you) are merely visiting Canada.