Dual Citizen Son going to grad school in Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

Post Reply
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:33 pm
Location: NC, USA

Dual Citizen Son going to grad school in Canada

Post by tony9409 »

My Son has been accepted into grad school in Canada (2yr program) and he has Canadian and US Citzenship. His permanent address is in the USA, but he will be out of the country for more than 180 days. He is also getting a scholarship from the school for ~$6000/yr and he would like to work part time there for some spending cash. A few questions:

1) Will he need a student visa ? I'm thinking not because he has Canadian citzenship

2) how do we report the scholarship and work income. I presume he'd file taxes in US and Canada with any Canadian tax paid reported on US return.

Any help to clarify would be appreciated.

Posts: 18385
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona »

Please post in the tax Q taxation forum.

He will not need a visa.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Post Reply