Cdn living/working in US with H1B status

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

nikita

Cdn living/working in US with H1B status

Post by nikita »

Hi,
I am a Canadian citizen living/working in the US with an H1B visa.

Am I able to move back to Canada while still working in the US with H1B status? I would be commuting back and forth each day.

Thank you!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sure. many H1's live in another country.

The H1 simply entiles you to enter US (and, if you choose, live there) and work at a specific employer and a specific job.

It has no effect on you when outside US, and odes not prevent you from leaving US every day, night, week, etc.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nikita

Post by nikita »

Thank you for your response, it was helpful. I would like to expand on my initial question.
I have been living here for 4 years already (TN). I was told the H1B will allow me to get my green card after five years.
I'm wondering if any of the 4 years can count towards getting it sooner (retroactive) or only the time I reside here with the H1B status?

Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

H1 does not speed up anything regarding GC, that TN doesn't. Your GC application will not go faster or slower based on H1.

It is the start of the GC process (filing PERM) that sets your priority date, whether you are on H1, TN, or in another country. That and the category of your GC (EB2, EB3, etc).

Since it will be years before you file an I-485, you can stay on TN for years, wuithout wasting resources getting h1; companoes often sy this simply to delay starting GC process, whichj they should have started for you years ago.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D