Cdn living in Canada, work/travel for US Corp. What Visa?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

bcmodus

Cdn living in Canada, work/travel for US Corp. What Visa?

Post by bcmodus »

I am a Canadian Citizen, living in Canada, and have been offered a position with a US based Corp. (They currently have no operations in Canada)

I will continue to live in Canada and work remotely 85% of the time.

I will travel to the US to the Corp head office periodically to work with the rest of the team.
I will also periodically travel to the US to meet with our clients.

I have my own corporation in BC now so I have a few choices to make.
A) Contract to the US corp using the BC Corp. But what Visa would i use to cover my trips to the US? Can I even get a TN Visa without being an employee?

B) Work Directly for the US corp as an employee. What Visa would I apply for to cover my trips to the US: TN or B?

Thanks for your help.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If they contract with your comany, then you remain an employee of a Cdn company, and can usually enter on B.

If you become an employee of the US comapny directly (which technically you should not, since youy live and work in Canada), entryy on B disappears as an option, and you must enter on TN or H1.

As I said, however, you should not become employee of US comapny without them setting up Cdn payroll for you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bcmodus

Post by bcmodus »

Thanks

I am a little tenative about the B visa as it doesn't seen to allow me to work when in the US. But I imagine many Cdn's use them everyday and they can't always be only on sales calls or meetings when in the US.

Do people get a B visa at POE or before?