Cdn citizen returning to Canada with wife and kids from US

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

bcbound

Post by bcbound »

I am a dual US/Canadian citizen planning on returning to live in Canada, after residing in the US for 20 years. I have a Swedish-born wife (with US Green Card) and two kids from our marriage who were born in the U.S. (thus also dual citizens, although they do not yet have their Certificates of Citizenship for Canada). Do I have the choice of sponsoring my wife and kids for PR from inside or outside of Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You have a choice, but in either case it is done in conjunction with moving back to canada, so it really doesn't matter the order/timing.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bcbound

Post by bcbound »

If my kids are Canadian citizens by virtue of my being a natural-born Canadian (but haven't yet received their certificates of citizenship or passports), should I even apply to sponsor them for PR cards? I know I need to sponsor my wife, who is not Canadian, but it doesn't seem to make sense to sponsor a Cdn citizen, etc. Bottom line, do I list them on the Section C3 of the IMM 1344 application that I am filling out for my wife?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You should not sponsor your kids -- they are Cdn.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bcbound

One last question :-)

Post by bcbound »

Thanks so much for your help nelsona! One last question if you will - since I am living in the US now, and sponsoring my wife for PR, the application is asking for proof that I will be living there if/when she gets her PR status. That's a little tough to provide right now - 1. I am self-employed 2. I don't plan on renting or buying a house (thereby having documents to prove intent) 8 -12 months in advance of her expected PR approval. Do you know if I have to provide those kind of documents now, or only later on our entry to Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As Isaid earlier, sponsorship while outside canada implies that you are moving to Canada iminently.

If you don't have such plans, you shouldn't be sponsoring at this time.

You should contact CIC to know what they are looking for in temrs of concrete plans.