Work remotely in US for Canadian Employer

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

Post Reply
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 1:40 pm

Work remotely in US for Canadian Employer

Post by cat » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 pm

I am a American with a Canadian PR card. If I temporarily go to the US for just a few months (due to family illness) and worked remotely with my Canadian employer would this would this change anything for me as far as tax or immigration implications?

I currently file my US (1040, Schedule B, 2555, 8891, TD ) and Canadian returns as required. I know I am not supposed to be gone from Canada for more than 6 months or risk having my PR status removed.

Are there any "special" documents that I would need to produce at the border? I would need to bring my 24" iMAC computer with me to work remotely.

Posts: 16364
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Wed May 26, 2010 5:46 pm

There is no requirement that you be in canada every six moinths, other than not be outside for 3 out of any five year period (counting by days).

So six mionths, even 2 years is not a problem.

This is nit like the requirements for US green card, which are much more strict (but still allow for departures of more than 1 year).
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply