French freelancer moving to Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

Post Reply
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 pm

French freelancer moving to Canada

Post by dingdong » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:27 pm


I will be moving from France (my country of citizenship) to Canada (BC) for a year or so in April. I work as an independent contractor (work from home, paid by the hour) for a US company.


If my client pays me $50k throughout the remainder of the calendar year, about how much will I expect to keep for myself?

From my research, I gather that there is:

- income tax
- pension plan

Am I forgetting anything?

Am I right in saying that I am exempted from GST/HST given that my client is in the US?
Is there anyway to avoid CPP (pension plan)?
Given $50k in revenue with no deductions, is 25% of that amount approx. what I can expect to pay for income tax+pension plan?

Thank you very much

Posts: 16364
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am

This a tax question. I will answer if you post there.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply