US Expat with RRSP's Working in Canada now moving back to US

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

bigbryan36

US Expat with RRSP's Working in Canada now moving back to US

Post by bigbryan36 »

I'm a US ex-pat originally from Philadelphia, PA USA. I've been working in Toronto for the last 8 years or so. I'm finally moving back to the US. I have an RRSP with my current employer funded solely with pre-tax contributions. I also have another RRSP I opened prior to joining my current company and that RRSP is funded solely with post-tax contributions. Finally, I believe I may even have one with both pre- and post-tax contributions. Is there any general guidance I can rely on as to where I can move this money when I go back to the States? Can i roll these accounts over to an IRA? My new job in the US sponsors a 401k plan so can I roll the pre-tax account there? Do I have to worry about any mandatory withholdings or foreign tax credits? Any advice would be welcome! I'm 42 and don't have any plans on touching any of this money for a long time but if there is a way I can move the post-tax account from Canada to a US equivalent (like a Roth IRA) I'd like to.

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Could you move this question over into the tax forum, please?

I promise I'll answer you there.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bigbryan36

Question moved to tax forum

Post by bigbryan36 »

question now moved to tax forum.