Tax considerations moving from the US back to Canada?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

deanodotcom

Tax considerations moving from the US back to Canada?

Post by deanodotcom »

I moved to FL about 15 years ago. Will be moving to Calgary in a couple of months for a new job. Both my wife and I are Cndn citizens and also US citizens. We plan on keeping our house in Fl for now, since we'll be hammered on real estate - besides, we love the house and our neighbors and neighborhood. I plan on renting an apt or house in Calg for now, since real estate in Calgary is as crazy as Fl was a couple of years ago.

I understand there is a tax treaty between the US and Canada, so I plan on paying my Canadian taxes and if I have to top up to the IRS or get a small refund, then whatever - I'm not really concerned about the taxes - don't get me going about the US healthcare though :-)

Suggestions/thoughts on what I need to do re: any tax implications BEFORE moving back to Canada? Thank you.

:?:
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Could you do me the favour of posting this on the tax forum.

AS I told you earlier, you are not immigrating, so this is the wrong forum for you.

Thanks.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D