Earnings in Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

DH

Earnings in Canada

Post by DH »

Can a US citizen residing in Canada earn income from a Canadian employer in US dollars or a combination of US?Canadian? How would that effect withholding and taxes?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I presume this is a tax question.

Why not ask it on the tax forum, rather than on the immigration forum.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
kayanat

Post by kayanat »

If an American citizen living in Canada wins a lottery, do the winnings have to be declared to the IRS? My husband is American, I am Canadian, and we live in Canada. If he buys a lottery ticket in Canada and wins a large sum of money, does he have to submit a form to the IRS declaring this?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

He would report it on his 1040 which he should be submitting every year right now.
mmeetkaur3

Post by mmeetkaur3 »

Sorry i don't know it.
Jyrki21

Post by Jyrki21 »

In a situation like kayanat wrote about 3 years ago, what's to stop the couple from simply saying that the non-U.S. spouse owned the ticket? Is that perfectly fine?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Nothing, as long as that is how he presents himself to the lottery board.