Where to surrender Canadian Permanent Residence Card?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

Post Reply
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Where to surrender Canadian Permanent Residence Card?

Post by andcormon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:25 pm

Hello, we are residing in the US. I am a Canadian citizen; my husband has a Canadian Permanent Residence Card.

We both now have our Green Cards. On a recent visit to Canada, my husband was advised to surrender his Canadian PR card to the consulate. My husband contacted them, but the information provided was not clear. They sent him "Travel documents to Canada" to complete.

He just wants to surrender his Canadian PR card. Can anyone suggest what to do?


Posts: 16364
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:49 pm

He was aadvised by whom to surrender his Cdn card.

If it was a US border officer, he has no business telling him that.

His Cdn PR status is still valid until he has been out of Canada for 3 years; there is nothing detrimental in keeping this card.

If he had his GC and then subsequently moved to Canada and got Cdn PR, that might be a problem, but as you describe, living in US, there is nothing wrong with having the Cdn OPR card, especially since it was obtained befgore he got GC.

You may want to move back to Canada for some uinforeseen reason; why make it more difficult for nothing.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply