Marry'n a Canadian and wanting information

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

dallasgal8050

Marry'n a Canadian and wanting information

Post by dallasgal8050 »

Hi Ron,
I'm marry'n a Canadian citizen in June and i'm from the U.S.A.
How long does it take to get the immagration finalized from the
time you send it in till the time you receive approval. And just because
you got married does that mean that your pretty much approved?
Also after your approval does immagration give you a time line when
you can move (example: you have 3 months or 6 months to get things
in order in the U.S.)?

I've been on this site before and it's very informative, I love it.

Thank you
Cheryl :D
dallasgal8050

Post by dallasgal8050 »

Sorry another post. Do we need to get a Lawyers permission to marry in Canada??
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

From the time you have filed to the time you would get a Permanant resident interview would take anywhere from 6 -9 months. I have seen spouses getting cleared in 5 months and also 9 months. After they issue you for an interview (ours was in Detroit), they are going to grill you on questions like where did you got married etc. Take proofs with you.

After the interview you would have 6 months to move to Canada. The day you enter Canada would be the date when you got the permanant residency.

Could not answer the last part where you asked if you will have to take lawyers permission to marry in Canada.
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

Sorry I was not Ron, but I still answered the most of your question....lol
dallasgal8050

Post by dallasgal8050 »

thank you very much.
dallasgal8050

Post by dallasgal8050 »

Also, the Interview, how long after the Interview does it take for you to know,
and what other types of questions do they ask?
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

In our case they had let us know right away what was the outcome. While answering the questions the officer is going to quiz you about things like marraige,where did u met, family members etc. They are just trying to do there job by verifying that whether this is a genuine marraige or a fake one.

Need not to be nervous about the same,as if your are genuinely married then there should be nothing to hide.
dallasgal8050

Post by dallasgal8050 »

Thank you for all your feed back. I appreicate it.
dallasgal8050

Post by dallasgal8050 »

Ok, I have another question. I have heard that the $1,040.00 total fee
for a spouse to sponsor is really more money. What I'm asking is...
Do they normally want more money than the inital money that they ask for.
I have heard from some friends that immagrated to the U.S. that all they want is money money money. Is this true with Canada immagration also?

Thanks
Dallasgal8050
dhirenasha

Post by dhirenasha »

I dont have any info on the fees. But you can check the cic.gc.ca site to see the more exact prices. But you are right, the fees is in that range....
MIKE2000Z28

Post by MIKE2000Z28 »

I am a US citizen and have been living in Canada for the past 3 1/2 years. I live in Quebec and the fees for me with medical exam and everything were close to 3k. I hear Harper has cut the fees in half for the Canadian part of it. If your moving to anywhere but Quebec, your fees will be much lower than mine.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

i know this is a little late in response, new to the forums >>

I just recently married an american her in Canada

You do not need a lawyers approval to marry in canada. you need simply to have your birth certificate, government issued photo ID to apply for your marriage liscence ( atleast in ontario). both you and your fiancee must be present to complete the application.

as for immigrations ( which i am currently in the process of sponsoring my husband)

- it is quicker to file from outside of canada meaning you returning to the USA and filing your papers there. As i was informed by a CIC immigrations officer, filing from inside canada could take as long as 2 years due to backlogs, outside of canada could be as little as 6 months)

- The fee for the canadian to sponsor you is 75

-the fee for you to be sponsored is 475

- the fee for your permanent residency application is 490 ( used to liek 980$)

---------if you are filing from outside of canada .. ( buffalo will process your perm residency)

-in addition , you need your FBI report , you can print an fbi finger print card off their site, you take that to local police authorities ( in the usa) get your prints done ( husbands cost 5$ per card, i would get atleast 2 to make sure one is useable) and send that in to the same FBI division with a money order for 18$ american payable to the US treasury. ( this can take up to 16 weeks to receive your certificate so get started ASAP)

- You need a medical exmination by an immigrations designated doctor, my husbands in vegas will cost 450$. ( thees findings are Valid for 12 months, if your application takes longer than that to process you will have to have a new medical completed and pay those fees again so i would wait until you have everything ready to send in and do your medical at the latest possible time)

- I hope you have your phone bills, mail correspondance, lots of pictures, receipts for gifts given to each other or proof of gifts.

-also if you marry in Canada, i recommend applying for your certificate online 3 weeks after your date of marriage, it will automatically process once your marriage has been registered with the province ( this is ontario , not sure about others, but check out which ever provinces gov services sites)

keep all travel documentations, such as tickets , boarding passes

have a valid passport

go to the cic site and get a family class : spouse package sent to you.
all the info you need is in there. and basically walks you step by step through the process.

start reviewing it now, and even drafting your applications so you will be ready to file when all your supporting documents come in.

It looks like a pain , but after some reading and rereading it tends to simplifiy unless you have some outstanding issues like a criminal record and so forth.