Entry documents for Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

bruce

Entry documents for Canada

Post by bruce »

I am a dual citizen (US & Canadian) that plans to move permanently from the US back to Canada in the near future. My Canadian passport is expired and I'm not sure there is enough time to renew prior to the move (especially given the current passport backlog). Can I enter Canada (become a resident) if all I have is my US passport plus my Canadian citizenship card?

I know the above documentation is more than enough as a visitor but I'm not sure what kind of additional complications will arise when I tell the Canadian border/immigration officer that I'm moving to Canada. I will probably drive across the border and need to advise them of this fact since, as I understand it, I need to give them a list of all the personal belongings that will be accompanying me (or to follow on the moving company truck).

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As a citizen of canada (and your Cdn citizenship card is ample proof, who cares about your US passport), you can do what you want when you enter.

Look at the CBSA site for various forms etc for returning residents. the US plates on your car will be sufficent clue that you weren't living in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bruce

Post by bruce »

As I understand the new rules, you now have to have a [u]passport[/u] to cross the border. That's the only reason I figured the Canadian authorities would want to see a passport (even if it was a US one). Either way, it sounds like the citizenship card is the key document. Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You only need a pasport to enter US, by air.

Not canada, and not by land.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D