PR Visa versus TR visa???

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

dbdfoster

PR Visa versus TR visa???

Post by dbdfoster »

Hello,
My family and I (wife and 3 small children) are trying to make the move to Canada by early 2008. We are still confused on several of the visa items and hope someone can help clarify. We intend to go over as skilled worker and seem to have no issues with point scoring.

First, since we do not plan on trying to make the move until at least one of us has secured employment is it better to apply for PR visa now while we are still in the US? Or should we go over first on a TR work visa, then apply for PR visa once established in Canada?

If I am able to secure a job and TR work visa will my wife also be allowed to work right away under my visa or would she need to apply separately for her specific employment?

In regard to applying for the PR visa (if that is the best to start), at what point during application are "funds in the bank" required? I have enough now (more than $30K in savings), but since we plan on waiting for employment to make the move would having a job there releive the need to have funds in the bank? I am concerned that we may need to use funds before the PR visa is completed processing. Do general assets count (i.e. retirement funds or real estate property) or only cash?

Lastly, we are planning to go to Nova Scotia (Halifax/Lunenburg/Bridgewater)...any recommendations on a good immigration lawyer in that province/area?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Derrick