Same Sex Sponsorship Concerns

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

inbetween

Same Sex Sponsorship Concerns

Post by inbetween »

We are a US/Canadian couple. I, the Canadian, am looking to sponsor my partner into Canada. Our situation concerns me, as our application would be complicated/delayed by it. These are our concerns:

1. I, the Canadian citizen have been living with my partner in US for 3+ years, undocumented (I entered with ID and Birth Certificate), and face a ban.

>>>Do I qualify to sponsor my partner?

2. We held a commitment ceremony in 2005, and have many photos and a certificate.We would like to file a Common Law application, from inside the US.

>>>We have been living together for 3 years, but would the Canadian government accept our living situation as common law, even though I am an overstay?
Also, If I apply to sponsor my partner from here in US do I give a Canadian address (like my mother's home) or do I give this address? And if I give the US address, will I be deported?

3. US partner was arrested for Domestic Violence 4 (during a fight with her cousin, the police were called. This state requires the "agressor" to be arrested) and spent one night in jail. Case was dismissed, no charges filed.

>>>What will happen with our application in the situation of an arrest and case dismissal?

And off topic, does anyone know if I will have trouble getting back in to Canada, as I do not have a passport, and the new law requires that I do?

THANKS!!! :P
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

And off topic, does anyone know if I will have trouble getting back in to Canada, as I do not have a passport, and the new law requires that I do?
you are misunderstanding the new regs: it is the US that is requiring a passport when entering US, not Canada when entering canada. You would have no problem entering canada, on land.

But, as the rest of your post indicates, you would not want to leave US at this point, because you would face a bar if you tried to enter US again (passport or not).

can't really help you on the other points...
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
inbetween

Post by inbetween »

"But, as the rest of your post indicates, you would not want to leave US at this point, because you would face a bar if you tried to enter US again (passport or not)."

>>>Yes. I am aware that I do not want to leave the US. Not until I sponsor my partner. But I need to know if I can do that from the US or not, even though I have overstayed.