Pointer to new arrivals

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

nitman

Pointer to new arrivals

Post by nitman »

First of all thanks to Ron, Nelson, and many other contibutors of this forum.

Anyhow, I'm here in Canada, have been for over three months now. Don't ever want to leave this place. However, if some of you folks are coming from US, here is something you may want to know.
1. LA Consulate is dead slow. Be Patient
2. If you have driver licence in US, get a driving record abstract from local DMV, before you leave, especially Illinois.
3. Get a letter(s) from your insurance company that you had coverage.
4. Banks take up to six weeks to cash your "certified" checks from non-canadian banks. So bring some hard cash and credit cards.
5. Don't expect that your PR Card will be mailed to a friends address you provided when you first landed. :?:

The last point is a bit of a surprise. Due to abuse by people in US (H-1holders), the CIC is now trying to make sure that when you come to Canada, you come with intentions of staying here. At least it seems that way and I don't blame them. I was on H-1 in US myself, so I know how it goes.
Thanks to everyone for abusing the system before me, the CIC sent out a Red letter stating I need to re-submit (or re-take) my pictures at a Toronto CIC office. The dimensions and quality of the picture taken by the lady at CIC took were exactly the same as the one I had submitted. I guess they just wanted to see that I was still in Canada. All they had to was to ask. :lol:
If you are lucky you will get a letter in mail, to pick up the PR Card in person from a local office. Must pick up in person, no exceptions.
I don't mind this approach. If you left Canada right after landing, and now you are unable to pick up the card in person, then you abandoned the country.

Best of luck to you all.
:D
Linux: You are already there!
Skoorb

Post by Skoorb »

Glad it's working out for you and, as with so many things in life, it's a few naughty people who ruin and make far more difficult the process for everyone else.