getting married

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

justme

getting married

Post by justme »

i'm so confused ... i've been looking at different websites for immigration for both Canada and US...but am having trouble understanding it. My boyfriend, an American, and I, Canadian, are getting married. We are looking at both options (him moving here or my moving there). We want to make sure we are following the proper methods. He is planning on coming here when he returns to the States (he's in the military), and we are hoping to get married at Christmas. What are the proper channels to go through???
flames9

To USA

Post by flames9 »

If your looking to move to the USA http://www.visajourney.com/forums/ is a great site for relationship type visa's.
Quick over view.
K1 Fiance visa. Normally the fastest (relationship not work related) Once in USa have 90 days to marry. More info on site
K3 marriage based
Cr-1 (Ir-1) marriage based. Cr-1 married for less than 2 yrs at time of entry, IR-1 married for over 2 yrs.

Head over to VisaJourney. Very good site. Reaqd the stickies at the top and pretty much lists on how to do everything step by step. Time wise sort of all depends on the visa and which service centre you go through (all depends where the american resides) K1 proabbly close to 6 months and the cr-1 just under a yr. but those are just estimates. I went the cr-1 route back in 2004 throguh Vermont and it took 6 months, now its close to a yr based on other posters on visajourney. Best of luck