is country of wedding important for spousal visa?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

SK333

is country of wedding important for spousal visa?

Post by SK333 »

Hello,

I'm a uk citizen, hoping to marry my canadian girlfriend next year, and then to move to live with her in canada. We are considering getting married in a country other than the UK or Canada. The marriage will be recognised in both countries, however will this have any adverse effect when applying for immigration to canada as a spouse?

secondly, I've heard the term "future landed immigrant" mentioned by friends, and that applying as one might speed up the process once married, or enable me to seek work after marriage while awaiting a work visa, i'm not sure what this is, can somebody explain if it would have any bearing on our situation.

thanks.
nitman

Post by nitman »

The country of marriage should not be an issue to authorities provided you have all the right documents. From what I have gathered from my research, in some cases, immigration authorities may ask the applicants to provide some additional proof that the marriage is genuine and not just for immigration purposes. This is regardless of where the actual wedding ceremony took place.

Good luck and HTH,
Nitin :)
Linux: You are already there!
SK333

Post by SK333 »

thanks a lot for the help. :)