Spousal app from UK to Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

Lindsay

Spousal app from UK to Canada

Post by Lindsay »

Hi everyone :D

I am a Canadian citizen and married my husband in 1999 and then moved to the UK. We now want to move back to Canada but are confused on a couple of things.

We know that my husband can get spousal sponsership but how long does it usually take, we are trying to figure out when to apply so we can try and plan things. Also does he have a certain amount of time from the time he gets his visa to the time he has to enter Canada?

We have a one year old son as well who is entitled to Canadian Citizenship but I don't know if we should apply for it now and hope it comes through quick or if we should wait until we get to Canada in which case do we have to apply for something for our son to be able to live in Canada as well?

Is something like this easy enough to apply for on our own or are we going to be much better applying through someone?

Thank you so much in advance for all the help :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

We have a one year old son as well who is entitled to Canadian Citizenship but I don't know if we should apply for it now and hope it comes through quick or if we should wait until we get to Canada in which case do we have to apply for something for our son to be able to live in Canada as well?
Your son HAS Cdn citizenship; he is not merely entitled to it.

Now, getting his card will take at least a year, after which he would need another few months to get a Cdn passport to travel. I have heaard of some compleing the process in 9 months, but I would not rely on this happening (more and more airlines are requiring kid's own passports for all travel).

So, The best thing to his to get his BRITISH passport, as this will be relatively quick and easy and will allow him to travel. I suspect it it easier to get a UK passport while in UK than while in Canada.

Subsequently, apply for his Citizenship CARD. You can either do this from UK (if you are not yet moving to canada), or wait until you move. Even if you do not get his card before you move, he will be admitted to canada as a Cdn citizen on the basis of YOUR citizenship and HIS birth certificate naming you as mother (make sure his birth cert lists parents). The card merely formalizes his status -- and allows you to eventually apply for a cdn passport for him.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/certif2.html

As an aside, YOU might want to look into securing YOUR British citizenship/passport, if you are entitled (I'm a brit citizen but I do not know what the rules on immigrants acquiring UK citizenship), before you leave UK. (This will be invaluable in the future, should things get messy between you and hubby, since both he and your son will be british, and you would not be -- get the picture?)
Last edited by nelsona on Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Lindsay

Post by Lindsay »

I didn't realise that my son was automatically considered Canadian, he already has his own British Passport as we went to see my parents in Alberta a few weeks ago. Does this mean that I won't have to apply for any type of entry into Canada for him, just for my husband?

I do also have my British Citizenship and passport. I got dual citizenship after 3 years of living here in the UK.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Great. You ahve taken care of the british end. (I modified my post just as you were posting so just read it over for any details.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hazelm

Post by hazelm »

You will need to apply for right of abode to canada for your son! Its a visa that lasts for 5 years that goes in his passport, I am having the same thing but in reverse! My baby is due in December, but Im a british citizen giving birth in canada and have to get a right of abode sticker for my son/daughter to enter the uk to live until i have applied for dual citizenship!

So much hassle! But worth it....

Hazel

xx