u.s permanent resident wanting to move to canada temporarly

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

gail

u.s permanent resident wanting to move to canada temporarly

Post by gail »

My boyfriend who is colombian, has had permanent residency in the u.s for about 6 years now. I'm a Canadian citizen and he wants to stay in Canada and work here while im in school.I was told he would lose his permanent residence if he exceeded the time limit that he is aloud to stay here. We then plan on moving to the u.s and i plan on working and finishing school there as well . We would like to know how we would go about doing this, how long would he be able to stay here for and how i would be able to go back there to live with him?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I was told he would lose his permanent residence if he exceeded the time limit that he is aloud to stay here
Not quite correct. he is however in jeopardy of losing his US green card simply by being out of the US, regardless of what status he may or may not have in another country.

He has to file for a travel permit, before leaving US, which would allow him to leave for more than 6 months, up to a year. It may or may not be renewable dependant on circumstances.[You should consult with a US immig atty on this topic as it is quite tricky]

His best course of action would be to get US citizenship before leaving US -- he is entitled to it after 5 years as a Permanent Resident . Then he has absolutely no restrictions, and can leave or return to US whenever he desires.

This would also aid in getting YOU into the US legally, as, right now, it would take YEARS for you to become a US permanent resident based on marriage to him if he remains a US Permant resident, while it would take months if he was a US citizen.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Dagi

Post by Dagi »

Does a new (less than 6 months) resident of Canada with U.S. citienship have to file a travel permit with Canada to travel back to the U.S?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No.

A cdn PR doesn't even have to live in Canada for the first 3 years after getting status. There is no permission needed for this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D