Visitor - implied status? Medical?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

pangolin

Visitor - implied status? Medical?

Post by pangolin »

Hello!

I am in Canada on a 6 month visitor visa, which expires in August. I sent in an application to extend it in June.

But, I'm having trouble getting a straight answer from CIC... is it correct that I have so called implied status and can remain in Canada while my extension application is being processed, should my current visa expire before I get a reply from CIC? How does it work? (I'm just very wary about overstaying my welcome.)

Also, one of the CIC Call Centre agents I spoke to told me I had to do a medical if I were to stay in Canada for more than 6 months, whatever my reasons were. They would mail me the necessary papers after I sent in my application. That was a first for me, I can't find any information on that anywhere. Is it correct? I'm from Sweden, if that should matter.

Thank you for reading. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

You do have "implied status" if you applied for an extension prior to the expiry of your stay. Your status continues on the same terms and conditions as previously until you hear back from the authorities.

On the second point, you may be asked to do a medical.