Resume lost citizenship?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

RFB

Resume lost citizenship?

Post by RFB »

Greetings to all….

My wife and I wish to reside in Canada but there is an issue we need to resolve before we can continue with the immigration process.

The situation: My wife’s mother was Canadian-born and became a naturalized American citizen in 1944 after she married my wife’s father. My wife automatically became an American when she was born later.

Our question: Is there a course of action my wife can pursue in order to resume or re-acquire the citizenship she lost as a minor? This based on the fact that my wife’s mother was Canadian-born. My wife continues to have familial roots in Canada on her mother’s side of the family; cousins who currently live in Toronto. My wife and I are also property owners in Canada and pay Canadian taxes.

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just to clarify, unless your wifes' FATHER was a Cdn citizen (or your wife's mother was not married) at the time of birth she did NOT automatically become a Cdn citizen at that time.

However, she became entitled to Cdn citizenship in 1977, when Canada corrected this obviously sex-biased law,

See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/certif2.html

There are possibilities of 'reclaiming' such lost rights.

If, as you say, she DID have Cdn citizenship (this is not a safe assumptiuon from what you have said) it may be as simple as filing a form.
See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/resume.html

In any event, it takes several months to get such a certificate, so you would want to get moving on this.

For citizenship purposes, none of the other faqctors you mentionned have any bearing, other that your mother-in-law's citizenship.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D