Do I make enough money to sponsor my husband?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

alexprice

Do I make enough money to sponsor my husband?

Post by alexprice »

Hi! I am wanting to sponsor my American husband for perm residency in Canada. I run my own business and gross $50,000 a year or so, but after so many write-offs, my net income looks like under $8,000! It is just that a lot of my personal type expenses qualify due to the nature of my business. Does this mean that I don't net enough to be a sponsor, or would they consider the fact that I have access to money anyway?? How do they monitor this?

If I have to have my spouse co-sign, does that add processing time and how much would he have to make per year? What if we can show that he has employment set up for when he gets work approval? Does that make it so we dont have to prove my income?

How long does it take before a spouse can work in Canada if you apply from WITHIN Canada and how long if you apply from OUTSIDE?

Sorry for all the many questions! Any answers would be so much appreciated! I want to make sure we know what we're doing!