Question on bringing my wife and daughter to Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

Wolivere

Question on bringing my wife and daughter to Canada

Post by Wolivere »

I'm a Canadian citizen I live in the US have been here for almost 5 years now.

I really miss my country, and I am looking to return this summer. While I have lived in the US I became married to a US born citizzen, and we have had a daughter who is now 3.

I have many questions

1) before I left Canada for the US, I had been in the last process of haveing a criminal charge set aside. A former employeer and I had a disagrement on my right to resell a computer I bought through them. I was suppose to attend court in September of 2002, but the Crown had contacted me to let me know they were setting the case aside and would not be pursueing the charge. I was told I would need to meet in Judges Chambers to have it set aside. I at the time explained I would not be able to attend due to the short notice. It was then explained to me if I don't show up, even though the charge is being set aside a bench warrant may be issued for my failure to appear.

Anyhow, I have gone through many back ground checks here in the US, one for immigration, and one for my work, even had to have my fingerprints sent to the RCMP for a back ground check and everything has come back clear.

But, that word always hangs in the back of my head is there a warrant and if so would it cause an immigraiton issue with my wife.

2) Can my wife and daughter travel to Canada with me, while we do the immigration papers?

3) If she can travel back with me, how long does she need to wait before going to work. Shes was a hairdresser it LA, and owns a large and susseful Day Spa.

4) How long would both of them have to wait before being able to access medical services. My wife is very concerend about makeing sure our daughter has access to coverage. Should I buy extra coverage here if we are to move?

5) When we arrive it may be a month or two before I settle back into work, many companies I have sent fealers out to have expressed intrest in me comeing to work for them. But I realise in my field (Systems Security) that the job process is not fast. Can I submit the sponsor ship papers before I have my position nailed down? And just rely on real property vaule ?

Thank you for your time
Charles
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your daughter is Cdn, and thus does not have to do anything special to come to canada. She should have access to Provincial healthcare immediately (although Ontario for some illegal reason refuses to do so for 3 months). If that is where you plan to move It would probably be worth your while to get Blue cross or something, for those three months.

Eventually you should apply to get your daughters Cdn citizenship card (it takes a year or so). You can wait until after you are in Canada if you wish. She does not need it to move to canada. You should, however, be getting her US passport now.

I would REALLY, REALLY advise, since you have been married for 3 yerars, that you get your US citizenship before moving back (and waiting in US until you get it). You should be allowed to apply after 2 years and 9 months after getting Green Card.
This will protect you and your daughter later if thing go sour and your wife wants to go back to US without you (save the lovey-dovey talk: you can thank me later).

I won't speak to the other criminal issues, but you should be taking care of your US issues before leaving US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Wolivere

Post by Wolivere »

I do have my US citizenship I, had it for almost a year now.

I'm actually not to concerned about the posibility of a warrant anymore, I called the Police in the city of the incident and asked them if there was an outstanding warrant, and they put me onhold for a while, asked some more questions birth date province of birth, detective I was dealing with..etc.

They then came back and said the case shows closed and no warrant is out there as far as I can tell.