Visitor Pregnant in Canada

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

hazel

Visitor Pregnant in Canada

Post by hazel »

I am in Canada as a temporary visitor and have fallen pregnant by my canadian boyfriend. I currently have no medical, do I need to leave canada or can I get medical check-ups etc in canada? :? also will I be able to stay longer?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I didn't know you could get pregant from falling. :lol:

Your Bf is responsible, let him look into his coverage.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Hi,

I think this young lady is from England - "falling pregnant" in her vernacular simply means becoming pregnant (probably derived from the - somewhat Victorian - idea that pregnancy "befell" her). Admittedly the expression is not a Canadian one, and I recall a friend of mine who is a social worker at a Womens' Hospital reporting that female clients looked at her rather oddly in her early days in Canada when she asked when they had "fallen preganant".

Not being an expert on medical coverage in B.C., I asked my friend about this, and the position seems to be that (unless Hazel is already covered by insurance) it would be a costly exercise to have even a normal delivery here. B.C. will not cover her until three months after she becomes a resident, and of course private medical programs will not now cover this, as it would be a "pre-existing condition". If the baby is born early, it could prove to be an even more expensive exercise e.g. if special care for the baby is required. It is therefore probably going to be a huge financial risk to deliver the baby here - true, the boyfriend is responsible, but who needs a huge bill to deal with? Therefore, my view is Hazel most probably needs to go home in a few months.

This could all change if the PR application is expected to be approved within 3 months, but if e.g. it has not been submitted yet, recckoning on a 6-month wait for approval after the application is filed and the further 3 months required by B.C. for coverage to start, Hazel is not going to be covered in time.

Finally, if her PR visa does end up being issued when Hazel is overseas, she would presumably have to amend the application to include the baby, or send her visa back, and ask for new visas to include herself and the baby. All-in-all, it's not that easy a situation.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Thanks for the language lesson, Ron. I'm British too, and quite familir with all the jargon.

BTW, I'm part french Cdn too, and the expression in french is "tomber enceinte" which is exactly translated "fall pregnant".

My comment was not based on linguistic or cultural unfamiliarity, but rather amusement that the thought that her being up the spout would extend her visit (like a broken leg).

'Up the spout' means pregnant, too, Ron. Maybe you should start watching Coronation street. You'll learn even more!
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hazel

Post by hazel »

Thank you for that nelsona, However I was asking as to wether I would be able to extend my stay because of the fact that the vast majority of airlines do not allow pregnant women of longer than 5 months to board the plane! And certainly not after 6 months due to causing problems with the pregnancy, especially with a fight that lasts 7 - 8 hours. I am due to leave in 5 months time, I am not 100% sure as yet but believe that I will be in my third trimester (7 months pregnant)!

And I also am amused at your shear ignorance...maybe you should find out what your talking about before randomly replying to posts. :roll:
hazel

Post by hazel »

Thank you Ron for your constructive reply, I am indead from england, and concerned about the health care that my unborn child is able to recieve from within canada.

I am indead applying for PR however have not yet submitted my application, as I am due to marry my canadian boyfriend in the near future, and as his spouse we were hoping that his medical will cover me over here. But yet to look into it as I have just found out that I am pregnant.

At the risk of sounding dumb are there different rule and regulations regarding health care, medical insurance etc depending on the provance I are in as my boyfriend is in Ontario? I have noticed that the system in Canada is some what different to the one in england.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Intersting that you would term my comment as "ignorance" (my wife worked for the airlines for 14 years, and travelled in her 7 month, so am not ignorant of airlines rules, policy or practice on pregnancy.

I don't know how many months pregant you are... and I'm sorry.

But I'm cheered by the fact that YOU don't even now how far along you are in YOUR pregnancy.

if you are worried about travelling late-term ... go back before then.

Loathe as I am to assist you any further, I will say that Ontario has very strict 3 month waiting policy AFTER you become a legal resident before insuring you. This does not matter if you were married, single, Cdn or not.

many other provinces insure landed immigrants the moment they get their health card, which can be mere days after getting status.

That is why, it seems like weeks ago know, I advised you that your best bet for some form of coverage is thru your bf's insurance. He typically does not have to wait for marriage to have you under his coverage.

of course, he doesn't have to wait for marrige in order to sponsor you into canad either, so instead of getting after me, get after your man.
hazel

Post by hazel »

my bf is already married and waiting for his divorce to finalise so there for asumed that his medical coverage from work would not cover me?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

:o
flames9

Post by flames9 »

Wow! probably not the wisest move to belittle one of the 2 people that reply to the majority of the questions on these boards. Nelson is very well respected on these boards, and gives countless amount of his time assisting others.
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Please --- Rather than getting into a debate about personalities or blaming anyone, let's look at the practical aspects of this situation. I agree that nelsona makes a big contribution to this board, and I'm sure he is only trying to help Hazel.

The outcome of all this seems to be:

(1) No evident way for Hazel to obtain Canadian medical cover before the baby is born. Possibility exists of huge medical expenses for the delivery, especially if there are any complications.
(2) Sponsorship application not started yet.

The only practical way to resolve this seems to be:
(1) Hazel and her boyfriend marry as soon as they are legally able to (or they can put in a sponsorship application as common-law partners if he has been living separate and apart from his wife for at least 1 year).
(2) File a sponsorship application
(3) Hazel returns to the U.K. for the birth. The boyfriend can follow her to work temporarily in the U.K. I believe - but check with a U.K. immigration expert if wanting to do this!
(4) It seems Hazel's PR application is likely to be finalized only after the baby is born. Therefore, once the baby is born, she will need to advise the visa post handling her PR application of the birth, and complete additional forms for the baby. the baby will also have to go for an immigration medical (sorry, those are the rules).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

One thing to rememebr is that regardless of the mother immig status, the BABY will be entitled to immediate healtch coverage -- he will be a Cdn citizen.

And even if born outside Canada -- why would it need to immigrate to canada -- it will be Cdn by fathers citizenship.
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Oops! nelsona is correct. The baby does not need to do a medical.

Hazel still needs to complete additional forms for her PR application however, because, even though the baby is a Canadian citizen, her Family Information Form, IMM5406 will now be incorrect. Also, her addresses on the Schedule 1 form will probably need updating.

Now that I have that right, unfortunately I have to point out that the baby will need a passport, preferably a Canadian one - I don't think the airline will accept a birth certificate.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

A passport would be handy, although I know of no airline that would insist on this for a newbie.

The quickest way to get a passport would be to get a British one in this case (if borm in Britain) as the process to get a Cdn passport for a child born abroad takes at least A YEAR, due to the need to get a Cdn citizenship card first, and then apply for a passport.

No airline would refuse boarding to newbie with a birth cert and positive ID for the parent. A 1-year old may be a different story.

Otherwise, I'm quite sure none of the airport reunions we see on the telly every week would ever take place.
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Well, assuming nelsona is right as he usually is, he may have solved a problem - but l am not sure it is so easy anymore to obtain a U.K. passport for a baby - take a look for instance at this

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article ... 25,00.html