Sponsorship

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

Kerrie

Sponsorship

Post by Kerrie »

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice.

I have been talking to someone from Canada for a year now, we are very much in love and would eventually like to be together. We have not yet met due to financial reasons... Money eh, but he is planning on comming over this year.

I live in England along with my 12 year old son.

What I would like to know is, what we would have to do for him to be able to sponsor me? Ie do I need to have saving, does he need to have a place to live, do we have to have seen each other so many times, etc

My other thought was, would it be worth my time going over there on a 6 mth visa, then asking for an extended stay? Problem is my son, would I be able to get him into education over there?

I would be grateful for any information. The CIC site just goes over my head.

Thanks in advance.
Kerrie

Post by Kerrie »

Ok if I'm right... My son should be able to come over with me for 6 mths and have a 6 mths study visa... I know I have to have savings and such.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Also after the 6 mths can I also extend his study visa? or do I have to apply for a new one?
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Hi,

Yes, you are correct. The only thing is, the initial study permit application must be made outside Canada. Thereafter, if you need renewals, you can do the renewals inside Canada.
Kerrie

Post by Kerrie »

Oh thats great news :)

Thanks very much for the reply.

I was thinking of doing it that way because I thought it my better my chances for being sponsored.. however my partner has said he could sponsor me as a Conjugal spouse... because we can't stay with each other due to finances atm.

I don't know if thats the better way of doing it? But they seem to want to know all the in's and out's of your relationship..

Any advice is welcome.
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

The conjugal category is very tricky. My recommendation is to stay away from it - especially if by doing an application of that kind you raise questions about whether there is enough money for you to manage.

They do want to know the in's and out's of your relationship. They receive thousands of applications, so it is not as though the details of your relationship are going to be remembered any more than someone else's, but they want to know that the relationship is genuine and exclusive - which is even more difficult to show if you have not been living together for a year.
Kerrie

Post by Kerrie »

So... basically, I would be better off applying for a study visa and work visa, and going over to stay with my b/f for a 6 mths period, then extending it near the end of the 6 mth period? Then after I had been there a year, it should be ok for him to sponsor me? Or is there a better way?

He also mentioned wanting to adopt my son, but I'm not sure how that would work... I have 100% parental rights. Is there anywhere that I can get information about this?

Thanks again