Canada citizen working in US, thinking of moving into Ontari

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

fhahnel

Canada citizen working in US, thinking of moving into Ontari

Post by fhahnel »

Hello,

I am new to this board.

I have been in the US for 50 years with a green card as a Canada citizen. I am woring in the US and looking into possibly moving into Canada and continuing to work in the US. My wife is a US born citizen. I will have to work another 8 years before retiriing.

We'd be looking at moving from Detroit suburb to somewhere in Windsor, Ont.

have questions about taxes, hydro, car and auto insurance.

Can anyone help?

Fred
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You're gonna need to be alittle more specific for this board of volunteers.
And tax questions go on the other forum.

One thing though, is that if you want to move to Canada, you will need to change your GC to a "Commuter GC", and your spouse will need to formally immigrate to Canada.

You might want to get your US citizenship before leaving instead of Commuter GC.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
fhahnel

Post by fhahnel »

Why would I need to change my GC or get US citizenship? I thought if I am a Canada citizen I can simply move back to Canada. If got a US citizenship then I would have to immigrate to Canada.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Lots of misconceptions. Glad I am able to correct these.

GC: If you move to Canada, you are putting yourself in a position to lose your GC, since you are not living permanently in US. GCs living in Canada and commuting to US to work therefore need to get a "Commuter GC", in order to keep working (which was you main question). It may just be simpler just to get US citizenship (before leaving), since you still qualify. But you cannot just keep your GC as it is now. You will either lose it, within 2 years, or it will be confiscated when you cross the border. For thise who merely wish to visit US, that may not be a big deal, but for you, wishing to work in US, you might not be eligible for another type of work status, and it would take some time to get.

here is one of many resources that discuss this:

http://www.clarkhill.com/contents/commu ... ent_id=335

Citizenship. You do not lose Cdn citizenship is you take US citizenship. You would be a dual citizen, allowed to live and work anywhere in Canada/US without issues.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D