Change of skills

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

amongink

Change of skills

Post by amongink »

Hello,

I'm considering applying for PR to Canada and I have the following questions:

1. I have slightly less than 5years of experience in different sub-fields of the Information technology field. Would this count as the necessary 4 years of experience required or does the total experience have to be in the same field/sub-field?

2. After applying for PR and being granted, is one obligated to work in the same field or is it possible to change fields of employment? For example, if I have qualifications in both the IT and Accountancy field, but my work experience is based on the IT field, is it then possible to change to the Accountancy field?

3. How long after getting the PR do i qualify for local university fees?

Thanks in advance,
Amongin
amongink

Post by amongink »

Can anyone please help me with answers to my questions?
nitman

Post by nitman »

If you are claiming points based on an IT field NOC, then you should show work experience in IT. If you can show full-time of four years or more in IT, then you should be good.

After you get your PR, you can work in any field, depending you get the job. Heck, you can work at McDonalds or Tim Hortons if you like. You can go back to school and acquire new sets of skills. In brief, Canada is your new home, you can do pretty much as you wish, just like your old country, well kinda. Hope you get the idea. :lol:
Linux: You are already there!
amongink

Post by amongink »

Hey, thanks for replying