Possible felony conviction...

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

lexngton

Possible felony conviction...

Post by lexngton »

Mr. Liberman, greetings... I was arrested January 06 for felony cultivation of cannabis... While my garden was for my own personal use as medicinal cannabis the courts here in the USA do not see it that way... I'm in my mid 40's, single with no dependents, and this is my first and only criminal record... Anyway, I have always wanted to move to Canada to work and live but now I wonder if I still can, ever??? I have 2 bachelor of science degrees and I'm a registered health care worker (laboratory)... I do not know what lays ahead, but have a scenario: 1) Case will be dismissed 2) Will plead guilty and recieve probation 3) Will plead guilty and recieve jail time... My questions are: Given the above scenerio's what are my chances of being able to enter Canada, to work in Canada & to live in Canada??? Thank you for your help...
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

This is a very dificult question to answer. If you are convicted, this would require analysis of the U.S. statute under which you are convicted, and comparison with the relevant Canadian statutes to see if in the circumstances of your case this would also be a criminal offense in Canada. Health Canada does allow individuals to use marijuana for medicinal use, but only where you are suffering from a major illness. There has also been talk about decriminalizing posession of marijuana, but don't hold your breath with the curent government.

In the worst scenario, if you are criminally inadmissibl, application can be made to overcome the inadmissibility, and with good professional assistance and a solid visa application there is a possibility the inadmissibility can be overcome.