Staying in Canada question

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:49 am

Staying in Canada question

Post by J_R_1977 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:08 am

Hey :)

I wonder if I could get some information as I have trawled over numorous websites including cic etc and cannot get the answers I need.

The situation is this, I have known my girlfriend for nearly 3 years online, due to personal and financial issues I could not come to be with her until Nov 05, we have been living together for the past 3 months very happily, myself, her and her 12y/o son.
I am English with no criminal record of any sort and 28 years old.
I am here on a 6 month visitors visa (which I get automatically and without application)
I would like so badly to stay with her, someday get married and settle down properly, I have a few people willing to employ me in construction as that is my trade, although I have no qualification on paper only highscool gcse's.

the questions I need answering are:

should I have to leave Canada at the end of my 6 months, how long until I can return? and do I have to return to England?

How easy is it to extend a visitors visa?

How easy is it to get a holiday work permit?

How serious is it to overstay my visa?

The options open to me are those above as far as I can tell, I don't know which one would be best to apply for and I don't want to apply for a work permit if they turn me down due to lack of qualifications, I would rather extend my visitors visa and stay a year by which time we can then apply for spousal/common law residence.
She has just started a new and very secure job which pays about average and she is more than willing and able to support me if need be. I would rather pull my wieght and work but at this point it's a case of needs must as the devil drives.

Please if possible could someone help me out here, we cannot afford leagal help for another month-6weeks by which time it could be too late.

Thank you in advance for any help I may get :)

Jon :)

Ron Liberman
Posts: 773
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:23 pm

Post by Ron Liberman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:48 am

Hi Jon,

I strongly recommend you do not overstay. It is possible to apply for an extension from inside Canada. Our you can leave, and re-enter whenever you want. You would need to go back home in order to apply for a working holiday visa, but from the background you describe, I suspect you won't qualify for that anyway. So logically you should try to stay for as long as possible.

Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:44 pm
Location: Canada

Staying in canada

Post by hazel » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:17 pm

Hi Jon,

I know exactly what you mean I am in a similar situation. I am a british citizen admitable for 6 months with out a travel pass or applying for a visa.
If you are planning on immigration then it is best to return to the uk before your 6 months are up.

When paying for immigration you do not need to pay the whole amount in one go! Although I do think it is a stupid amount to pay! Also they would frown upon you for breaking the rules and may not accept your application.

Although flights could cost alot it is better in the long run or you could end up paying just to be alowed back into the country if you are ordered to leave!

I found that and are the cheapest sites to get plane tickets from. Also is a cheap one for coming back with.

I am in the same possition with working, my canadian born boyfriend has to support me and its driving me mad not being able to work, have always been independant myself! :roll:

Hope it all works out for you...

Post Reply