What does it cost?

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

djbhlb

What does it cost?

Post by djbhlb »

We really have two questions: We are thinking of an application to emigrate from the UK to Canada and were wondering what a ball park cost of a family of four's application would be, and secondly I was intending to apply as a skilled worker but I have been told that Civil Engineering/Construction Management are no longer desirable and therefore count towards fewer points.
Can anyone advise?
Thanks djbhlb
hazel

Post by hazel »

It all depends on your nationality as to what forms you need to fill out to immigrate to the uk. I am a british born citizen and looked into bringing my canadian born partner to the uk as a worker.

There are quite a few sites on visiting and immigrating to the uk www.ukvisa.gov.uk and www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk are the best sites to find out relevant information. I found that the best thing to do is to use google or a similar search engine and type in 'work visa for the uk' as there as lots of other sites too, however it is easy to get lost in all the information given to you. So I would advise you to contact the embassy in Ottowa if you cannot find exaclty what you are looking for!
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Hazel, I think you have misunderstood - unless there is a typo, the question is not about immigrating to the U.K., but about immigrating to Canada.

For two adults and two minor children, the government processing fees are $1400 Canadian, currently a little over 700 pounds. Professional assistance will be extra of course. A recent development in your favour is that the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, which was payable at the end of the process to the governent, is slated to be reduced to $100 per adult applicant, or abolished altogether.

Since the new Immigration Act came into force on June 28, 2002, there is no longer a list of occupations and points - you obtain points for any skilled occupation at level 0,A, or B of the National Occupational Classification based on number of complete years of full-time (or full-time equivalent) experience.
Civil Engineering/Construction Management should qualify.