In country spousal sponsorship

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

dbest

Post by dbest »

Hoping you might be able to provide some guidance and advice. My husband is a German national, I am a Canadian (born and bred). He will be coming to Canada, on a business trip, in March; he has taken a 'leave' from his company after the business aspect of the trip, to remain with me in Canada for several months (within the limits of his 6 month visa). If possible, he would like to remain until PR + open work permit is issued.

I am working on the spousal sponsorship paperwork. He is doing the medical exam by accredited physician, obtaining police clearance certificates, etc while still in Germany.

I have a lot of questions. In which order should the CIC documents be submitted: the application to sponsor, sponsorship eval + sponsorship agreement before the rest? Or, should all of the application kit + supporting documents be submitted at the same time?

While the CIC is fairly straight forward, not all of the guides and information is as clear as I would prefer. I have no experience in sponsoring.

I appreciate any guidance, suggestions or advice.

DB
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Everything should be submitted together.

There are many things to say, howver the most basic point is, if there is a possibility that he might have to return to Germany after a few months, you should not be doing an inland sponsorship. He can be deemed to have abandoned an inland application when he leaves Canada. The correct approach in this case would be to submit a sponsorship application that is processed outside Canada.
dbest

Post by dbest »

Ron,

Thank you for your very quick response.

My husband is hoping to remain in Canada (ie., not return to Germany) and that is the reason we have decided to follow the in country route. His company knows that he intends to remain in Canada and are trying to find him a position within their Canadian units. We would prefer that he does not have to leave Canada once he arrives. Is it possible for him to remain while the application is being processed? Even if it is beyond the standard 6 month 'visa' granted by his German passport?

Regards,

Deanna
Ron Liberman

Post by Ron Liberman »

Yes, he can apply for an extension, or he can exit Canada and re-enter.