Permanent Residency

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to Canada, landed immigrant status, work permits, etc.

Moderator: Ron Liberman

blondie_81

Permanent Residency

Post by blondie_81 »

Hi Ron,
This is a kind of silly question but I was wondering if you are a permanent resident in Canada for how long can you actually leave the country? I always thought that in order to keep your residency you can only leave Canada for max of 6 months before you loose it. I know it's a little bit differnt for citizens. I have a friends that recently came to Canada as a new immigrants and they told me that it has been changed. Is it true or where they just give a false information.
Thanks Ron

Renata Antalova
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The residency requirements for maintaining your PR status have indeed changed.

One need only be physically in Canada 2 years in every 5 year period.

So you, or any other PR could leave Canada tomorrow, and come back on December 12, 2008, and mainatin your status (as long as you then stayed in Canada for 2 years straight).

There are even situations when one can count time outside Canada towards the 2 year requirement.

see:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
blondie_81

Post by blondie_81 »

Thanks Nelsona,
It's good to know, it's not for me but my friends who can't make up their minds what they want to do. Thanks again for your helpful info.
Duratec

Post by Duratec »

nelsona wrote:The residency requirements for maintaining your PR status have indeed changed.

One need only be physically in Canada 2 years in every 5 year period.

So you, or any other PR could leave Canada tomorrow, and come back on December 12, 2008, and mainatin your status (as long as you then stayed in Canada for 2 years straight).

There are even situations when one can count time outside Canada towards the 2 year requirement.

see:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
I am thinking of working on a TN Visa in the States 6 months at a time meaning I would work 6 months, go back to Canada (where I've been a citizen my whole life) for about 2 weeks, return back to the States to work another 6 months then so on and so forth for a period of about 5 years. While filing my taxes each year, am I considered a non-resident of Canada? Do I have to pay taxes each year in Canada? thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why on earth would you feel the need to return every 6 months?! Doing so does make you appear that you want to live continuously in Canada -- and thus be continuosly taxed in Canada as well.

Most TNers simply live in US for the entire time, thus avoiding even the hint of Cdn residency. There s no six month limit to TNs, so why impose one?

You are a Cdn citizen, so you have no need to keekp any Cdn ties at all.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Duratec

Post by Duratec »

nelsona wrote:Why on earth would you feel the need to return every 6 months?! Doing so does make you appear that you want to live continuously in Canada -- and thus be continuosly taxed in Canada as well.

Most TNers simply live in US for the entire time, thus avoiding even the hint of Cdn residency. There s no six month limit to TNs, so why impose one?

You are a Cdn citizen, so you have no need to keekp any Cdn ties at all.
What you say makes sense. The reason for returning every 6 months is to 'recharge' my medical insurance as Blue Cross said they will only cover up to 6 months at a time. Does that make any sense and is there another way to go about the medical thing? Blue Cross seems to offer the best rates...
Duratec

Post by Duratec »

Nelsona, so basically what you're saying is that as soon as I step foot back into Canada I'm considered a 'resident' again and therefore must file my Canadian income taxes accordingly?