Dividends & Roth IRA distributions

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dp

Dividends & Roth IRA distributions

Post by dp »

Nelsona,

I am a Canadian living in Canada. I have two questions for you.

1. I received f1099-DIV for my mutual fund. After I read this forum, I understand that I should receive f1042s instead of f1099-DIV. It may be because I haven't changed my address for that account. Anyway, could you please tell me how to report ordinary dividends and qualified dividends on the 1040nr form? Can I report ordinary dividends on page 4 and qualified dividends on page 1?

2. I have a Roth IRA account with Citi Personal Wealth Management. The qualified Roth IRA distribution should be tax-free even though the owner is NRA. But, Citi rejected my request for distribution and won't let me close the account unless I agree to let them withhold 30% on the gross distribution. I sent W-8BEN to them, but I was told that i did not fill out the form correctly since I did not fill Part II line 10. I don't know how to fill out line 10 since it is not a treaty issue but the policy of the qualified Roth IRA distribution itself.

Thank you very much for your help.

dp

P.S. I would appreciate any help from other people as well.