Residency Question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Toronto_Guy

Residency Question

Post by Toronto_Guy »

I moved to US on 10 June 2014. My spouse & kid joined me in second week of July 2014. I have a w2 from July 2014 to Dec 2014. Before moving to US I have a T4 from a Canadian Employer from Jan 2014 to May 2014. I was absent from US for 9 days. My wife also has a T4 from Canadian Employer before moving to US. I owned a home in Canada which is currently occupied by my parents. I also have a RESP&TFSA under $1000 each. My wife is currently receiving Canadian maternity unemployment benefits and Universal Child Care benefits. I need to know which form do I need to file in USA & Canada .. Am I consider dual status alien for US tax purposes for the first year .. I will appreciate your comments & advises...Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

For Canada: You are departing resident of Canada: and emigrant. Departure date 10 june. Spouse July 10.

For US you have the choice of dual-status, or full-year resident, whichever yilds least tax.
Explained here countless times.
Your spouse needs to inform Service Canada that she is no longer Cdn resident to get proper withholding on mat leave.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Toronto_Guy

Post by Toronto_Guy »

If I file as a dual resident alien ? Do I need to show Canadian income on 1040NR & If I file 1040 for the remainder part of the year do I include income from both countries, what about my wife does she really have to file 1040NR from July 2014 to Dec 2014 ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Please re-read what I said. 1040NR is for US income. Dual status requires some statement fpor the first part of year.
Personally I would be filing joing full-year, to lower you US tax, which will be high if you file MFS.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D