Canadian citizen selling House in Canada while living in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

msuri98

Canadian citizen selling House in Canada while living in US

Post by msuri98 »

Hi,

Here is my situation.

I am living in US for last 10 months.

I filed my cdn departure tax return for FY 2014.
I filed US tax return as resident.
I own a property in Canada which I rented from mid July 2014 and have been paying 25% of the gross rental income to CRA via payments account online.
Now that I am selling the house before the one year of me becoming non-resident of canada, I want to know what forms I need to fill to avoid 25% withholding of my sale.

Please suggest.

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Look on CRA website for non-resident forms. Your broker/lawyer will need to be involved.

here is start:

make sure you file your 216 return for nCRA to recoup some of your rental income tax.

You will also need to report the rental income in US, wirth depreciation, and will also have to report the sale on your 1040.

Lots of threads on this. Happy browsing.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

By filing the forms in advance you can limit the withholding to be based on the actual gain not the gross proceeds but then you still need to file a tax return in April to disclose the actul gain and be tax on that less the withholding CRA took.

It depends on the gain it probably may be zero id it was your principle residence 1 yr absence will not exclude the exemption.

Many posts on this, you need to do it however in time of the signing to limit the withoiding on the gross proceeds
JG