Investments in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

markjhamilton

Investments in Canada

Post by markjhamilton »

I am a US Resident with US earned income and Canadian Pension and RIF income. I pay 15% Canadian Withholding Tax on that income and report it on my US taxes with a corresponding foreign tax credit. I was previously converting the CAD funds to USD and transferring them to a US bank account, but with the recent poor exchange rate I have been leaving the CAD accumulating in my Canadian bank account. My question is whether there is any way of investing the CAD funds without triggering a requirement to file a Canadian Tax return.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It's not a question of taxes. Its a question of securities regulations. A US resident is not permitted to have a Cdn brokerage account. And US residents are not permitted to buy Cdn mutual funds (except in limited cases in their RRSP/RRIF).

So, you cannot buy Cdn stock etc in C$. You can of course bring the money to US and buy Cdn companies traded on US markets. You might ven find a CUS broker who trades on the Cdn markets.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nohairleft

Post by nohairleft »

You can try Interactive Brokers. They permit cash holdings in multiple currencies (including CAD), and you can trade TSX securities there if you like. You won't want to invest in Canadian mutual funds or ETFs due to PFIC regulations, so that's about your only real option if you don't want to convert currencies.

If you ever decide that you do want to convert the money to USD, they can also generally crush the exchange rates offered by standard banks (ie. a small fixed fee gets you interbank plus 2 pips).

Note that the IB interface is designed for traders, so the UI is not for the faint-of-heart.