Use corrected 2013 FBAR pdf file for 2014 ?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Filo

Use corrected 2013 FBAR pdf file for 2014 ?

Post by Filo »

For my 2014 FinCEN-114 (FBAR) I'm going to use my existing 2013 Fincen-114 pdf file and just update the Year, Filing Name, and Max Account Values.

Is anybody else doing the same thing, or do you know of any reason I shouldn't do this?

The new FinCEN-114 I just downloaded has the same Version Number (1.0), Effective Date (2013 October 1), and OMB Number (1506-0009) as the old one from a year ago.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Not sure what you are trying to do.
Since 2013, FINCEN is filed online.
The source for the "paper" copy, which is only for your records, is here:
http://bsaefiling.fincen.treas.gov/NoRegFBARFiler.html
it is the only up-to-date version you should use.
You fill it online, and e-file it from that page.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I'm not sure that editing the pdf file from last year will be recognized by BSA.
While the file that is produced is a .pdf, I'm quite sure that BSA is using something encodied to transmit and use the information. the pdf is simply for you to be able to read, not BSA.

SO, IMHO, changing the characters written in the PDF is not likely to change the encoding that was created for 2013's filing.

Just my opinion.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rafa02

Post by rafa02 »

Filo, I did just as you suggest and simply changed the year and updated the various amounts. I received the acknowledgement from bsaefiling, so it appears to have been accepted.
rafa02

Post by rafa02 »

I first of all downloaded the current FinCen 114 pdf from the BSA website and it appeared to be the same as the 2013 version (version 1.0).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There you go.
Filo

Post by Filo »

Thank you rafa02 and nelsona. I will follow the procedure I intended to; it makes things easier.

I should have made it clear that I did not fill in the FBAR online. I downloaded the FinCEN-114.pdf file, filled it in offline, and then transmitted that pdf file to the Treasury Department via the web submission form provided at bsaefiling.fincen.treasury.gov.