Moving to USA for medical residency. Tuition credit Q's

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

DrJ

Moving to USA for medical residency. Tuition credit Q's

Post by DrJ »

I am 32 yo moving to the USA for medical residency this June and I have a few tax questions (I have searched for them already):

Background info:
I withdrew all of my RRSP's this year (2015) approx $11,500
I have approx $190,000 of tuition credits to carry forward
My salary will be approx $55,000 starting end of June
Have been in USA for past 2.5 years on B-1 visa as a student

Questions:

1) I will be gone for a minimum of 4 years to a max of 7 years. If I severe ties to Canada to be deemed a non-resident during this time will the $190,000 of tuition credits still be able to carry forward when I return to Canada in a number of years? Do the tuition tax credits ever expire?

2) I have US tuition receipts for the same amount; can I file back-dated returns for previous years in which I could deem myself a US resident based on "significant presence" for the past 2.5 years in order to receive the back-dated tuition credits on my US taxes?

3) Will I get my 10% withholding taxes paid on my RRSP withdrawal returned when I file my 'departure tax' based on redeeming some tuition tax credits at the same time? (In hindsight, I should have withdrawn my RRSP's during 2014 to get the withholding taxes back on my latest return)

I think that's all the Q's I have for now, thanks in advance!!