Canadian non-resident having stock options and ESPP sold

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

GoCanucks

Canadian non-resident having stock options and ESPP sold

Post by GoCanucks »

Canadian non-resident in California on L1 since 2012. Was granted non-qualified stock options (US$ stocks traded in the US) in 2007 when working for a Canadian branch of a US company. Reported the stock options to CRA at departure but didn’t pay departure tax. Exercised and sold the options in 2014, with a gain of about $7K.

In addition, I also had ESPP shares purchased in 2010 when I was with the same company. Sold the ESPP shares in 2014 at a loss (a few hundred US$).

How should I report these in my 2014 tax filing, in both US and CA? For example, should the gain/loss be prorated over the years (e.g. 2007 to 2014) to split it between Canadian-source and US-source income/loss? Can I claim foreign tax credit for the tax paid to CRA for the stock option gain?

Thanks in advance!