Cdn Tax on Freight for Items Delivered to U.S. Border Point?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

eeyore

Cdn Tax on Freight for Items Delivered to U.S. Border Point?

Post by eeyore »

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but I don't know where else to turn.

I live in Canada. I purchase an item from a U.S. source and ship to a border point within the U.S. I then pick up the item in the U.S. and transport it across the border into Canada myself. At the border, do I pay taxes to Canada and my province on the shipping charges I paid to get the item to the U.S. border point, or just on the value of the item, apart from shipping?

I've scoured CBSA's website, and I can't see anything that matches this scenario, yet it happens all the time, given eBay, etc.

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It should be only the item value including tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eeyore

Post by eeyore »

[quote="nelsona"]It should be only the item value including tax.[/quote]

That's what I thought. But the border guy said I had to pay tax on the total amount I paid, including what it cost me to get it to the border.

I was sure I had seen this scenario explained on the CBSA website in the past, but I can't see it any more. Do you know if there a web doc I can reference?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well, since you can't exactly argue with the border guy. I would suggest you keep looking.
I would understand paying tax on the shipping if it were sent to Canada; if it is the case, then I guess you wasted youyr time shipping it to the border.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eeyore

Post by eeyore »

[quote="nelsona"]I guess you wasted your time shipping it to the border.[/quote]

Not quite. Shipping and brokerage charges to Canada can be outrageous, compared to a U.S. border point. (Try shipping UPS to Canada, and you'll see what I mean.)
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I said time, not money. Gas is still expensive too.