Moved to USA on TN Visa

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mk1976

Moved to USA on TN Visa

Post by mk1976 »

Hi,

I moved to USA from Canada on TN Visa in mid july of 2014. I am aware that I have to file Non-Resident tax in USA and Departure return in Canada for 2014. But my situation is a bit complex and I am unable to find suitable answers. I used to be the sole director of my corporation in Canada and have borrowed from my company towards director loan. I wanted to repay the loan as dividends. I have the following questions:

1) Should I ask my Canadian accountant to issue a T5 or something else. I read somewhere that since I have now become a Non-Resident of canada, this will not apply anymore.
2) My Canadian corporation bank account has less than 5000 $, should I be reporting this in my US tax filing once I start filing as US resident. The dividend that I wanted to offset my loan will be much more than that for the next year or so.